I was born in 1958 and went to Loughborough College of Art and Design where I initially completed a Foundation Course in Art and in 1980 graduated with an Honours Degree in Three Dimensional Design. Following a short career as a Designer in the Furniture industry I went on to study for a PGCE in Art and Design Education. Since 1985 I have been a Teacher of Art, Design and Technology, becoming Head of Design and Technology before my retirement in 2018.
I was introduced to Botanical Art and joined the Leicester Floral Artists society in 2006 and the Leicestershire Society of Botanical Illustrators in 2007. I attained a Diploma in Botanical Illustration with the Society of Botanical Artists in 2010 and completed the ‘Botany for Botanical Artists’ Course in 2011, a course which was supported by the Institute of Analytical plant Illustration (IAPI).
In February 2009 following an inaugural lecture, ‘Florilegiums – Past and Present’ by Botanical Artist, Valerie Oxley, The Leicester Grammar School Florilegium was launched – a society which I set up to document the Flora on the new school site in Great Glen, Leicestershire. The Society continued until my retirement in 2018.
Courses that I have attended
- ‘Drawing and Painting Fungi’ day course at Thorsby Hall
- ‘Travels Around My Paint Box,’ day course at Sheffield Botanic Gardens
- ‘Back to basics – Botanical painting’ July 2007at Madingley Hall Cambridge,
- ‘The Winter Garden’ January 2008 at Madingley Hall, Cambridge
- ‘The Glory of the Garden’ July 2008 at Madingley Hall Cambridge.
- ‘Illustrating Early Spring Flowers’ January 2009 at Madingley Hall, Cambridge.
- ‘Illustrating the Wild Flowers of Cambridgeshire’ July 2009 at Madingley Hall, Cambridge
- Digital Camera Course – Understanding your camera: Flowers and close up photography
- SBA Diploma Distance learning course – Graduated with Credit March 2010
- ‘The Flowers from Madingley Hall Gardens’ July 2010.
- ‘Illustrating the Wild Flowers of Cambridgeshire’ July 2011 at Madingley Hall, Cambridge
- Botany for Botanical Artists September 2010 – July 2011
- Illustrating Insects – May 2012 at Madingley Hall, Cambridge
- Drawing and painting autumn flowers, fruits and fungi – October 2012 at Madingley Hall Cambridge
- Flowers of the Walled Garden, April 2013 Madingley Hall, Cambridge
- Coloured Pencil Workshop with Sue Vise, Long Eaton Art Room
- Calligraphy for the Botanical Artist, Long Eaton Art Room
- Modern Plant Portraits April 2014 Madingley Hall, Cambridge
- Painting in the Style of Arthur Harry Church, July 2014, Madingley Hall Cambridge
- ‘Painting on vellum’ workshops with Sarah Gould at the Leicester University Arboretum (2018 – 2020)
- Leicester Floral Artists Exhibition at the Leicester Botanic Gardens Open Day July 2007.
- Institute of Analytical Illustration stand at the Botanical Society of the British Isles Exhibition in London November 2007.
- The City Gallery, Leicester Floral Artists 2008
- The Richard Attenborough Centre Leicester , Leicester Floral Artists 2009
- ‘The Crumbling Cookie’ Leicester Floral Artists 2009
- Market Bosworth Festival Art Exhibition 2008
- Exhibition of Botanical Illustrations, Madingley Hall, Cambridge June 2009
- Burghley House, 2009. Leicestershire Society of Botanical Illustrators
- ‘The Crumbling Cookie’ Leicester Floral Artists 2010
- The Guildhall, Leicester with the Leicestershire Society of Botanical Illustrators
- Market Bosworth Festival Art Exhibition 2010
- ‘The Secret garden’ Leicestershire Society of Botanical Illustrators Shirley Sherwood Gallery, Kew gardens, London. February – June 2011
- Market Bosworth Festival Art Exhibition June 2011
- ‘The Secret garden’ Leicestershire Society of Botanical Illustrators, The Guildhall, Leicester September 2011
- ‘A Botanical Celebration’ featuring ‘Natural Athletes of the Plant World’ Leicestershire Society of Botanical Illustrators, The Goody Rudkin Gallery, Burghley House, Stamford. October 2012
Two paintings on vellum reproduced in, ‘Botanical Illustration’ by Valerie Oxley
Botanical Teaching Experience
‘Botany for Botanical Artist’ 2012 – 2013 and 2013 – 2014. This course was taught by myself and Botanist Tony Duffield.
Florilegium weekly workshops 2009 – 2018
Flower dissection workshop for the Leicestershire Society of Botanical Illustrators
Various botany and botanical painting workshops via Zoom 2020 – 2021